Friday, April 8, 2011

Bite of Reno: Sadness at Santa Fe

Have you ever been let down by something that was meant to be "THE experience of a lifetime"? Isn't it saddening? Frustrating? Annoying?

That's how I felt after dinner at Santa Fe in Reno.

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

See that food? There was really nothing special about it. The bread tasted like it was from a mass production factory. The soup tasted like it was from a can.

And wait, it doesn't stop there! The chicken tasted extra greasy, and the pork chops were really dry. So this place is supposed to be a "local legend" and they can't even serve decent pork chops?

And what was "Basque" about any of this? I saw a pimiento pepper here and vaguely "Spanish" spices there. As Gertrude Stein would say, "There's no THERE there."

At least the ice cream at the end was OK... But I could tell that was also from somewhere else. Dreyer's, perhaps?

I've made far better Basque food at home. Maybe this just wasn't a good weekend at Santa Fe, so I won't say "NEVER!!!" just yet. However, next time I will ask more questions if someone in Reno tells me about this place I "just HAVE to try!!!" If it weren't for the low prices, I would have been even more let down. Without a doubt, I won't be complaining about spending a few extra dollars next time to enjoy a quality Spanish meal locally at Julian Serrano or Jaleo.

Style: Family Style Neighborhood Hangout
Price: $
Open: Dinner

The Rating
---

Food: 2.3 (out of 5)
Service: 1.7 (out of 3)
Ambiance: 1.5 (out of 2)
Overall: 5.5 (out of 10)
Bitter Aftertaste, Don't Bother With This Dud

Santa Fe Hotel on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment