Saturday, May 7, 2011

Z'Tejas Es Z'Bueno!

While I was saddened to have to leave town just as Vegas Uncork'd was arriving, I at least had a few Orange County culinary delights to comfort me. Z'Tejas was one of them.

It's always been one of my favorite restaurants here, and it's been a favorite because it serves great food. It's an interesting Tex-Mex joint from Austin that marries together plenty of Mexican spice with Southern soul... And it actually isn't hokey!

This time, I was in the mood for something sinful (maybe I was homesick for "Sin City" already?), so I ordered their new mac & cheese dish. And much to my delight, it arrived hot, rich, creamy, and cheesy! I was certainly feeling better.

What also helped was the irresistible cornbread served beforehand. It was baked fresh and served piping hot. I could still taste the sweet corn kernels, and it tasted even better with the butter served alongside.

And for dessert? Since I wasn't missing this, I just had to try the key lime cheesecake! It had a lovely, citrusy, tartness balanced by a nice, delicate sweetness. It definitely ranks among the better cheesecakes I've eaten.

Don't believe me? See below!

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

I know it doesn't make up for missing the most fabulous foodie weekend in Las Vegas. But for Orange County, I could do far worse. I really can't complain. ;-)

Style: Casually Elegant Southwestern
Price: $$
Open: Lunch & Dinner

The Rating
---

Food: 4.8 (out of 5)
Service: 3.0 (out of 3)
Ambiance: 1.9 (out of 2)
Overall: 9.7 (out of 10)
Outstanding, Destination Eating!

Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment